Venting - How Smooth Fitness Did Me Wrong

Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:13 am

Forgive me, but I have to vent...

I was an affiliate for Smooth Fitness for about 6 months and averaged about 2 sales per month. Out of the blue, I got an email from them that my contract was being cancelled (no explanation given). I had to call their corporate offices to track down the affiliate manager to find out what's going on. Their affiliate manager looked up my account and told me I was cancelled due to lack of sales. All he told me was that my sales weren't enough (he never told me what I had to sell to stay in their good graces).

I told him my site had only been up for about 10 months and I've just started to heavily promote their products and that I was planning on ramping up my efforts. He said he appreciated that and would "try" to reinstate my contract and that he'd let me know through Commission Junction, who facilitates their affiliate program. He said he's had problems with CJ so if I didn't see a new contract offer in a day or so to call him back. He was very friendly and seemed very sincere to get me back on board with them.

I never heard from him or Smooth Fitness again. It's been over 8 weeks now and I have left numerous voice mails. I even called Smooth Fitness the other day to confirm the afiliate manager still works there. Of course he does - into his voice mail I go! My last voice mail was almost embarrassing as I was "pleading" to hear back from him one way or another. I told him in the message that I need to know one way or another as I will be launching a large AdWords and Article Writing campaign promoting their products. I told him I needed to know if I should hold off or go ahead.

You would think this he would have the courtesy to get back to me! He can't even shoot me a quick email telling me it's not going to work! How much time would that take?? Whatever happened to being a professional and putting on a good face for the company you represent? I would never treat my customers like that.

At this point it's just a matter of principle - just call me or email me and tell me it's not going to work! I want to fight this thing and take my beef right up the chain to the CEO but I know it's not worth the time and effort when I can be doing other things. Plus, what do they care what one little affiliate thinks about their business.

It's for this very reason that I've often thought about giving up on affiliate selling entirely. As an affiliate - especially a relative newbie just getting started, we have no power OR control what these merchants do. What if I would have spent tons of time and money promoting these jokers only to have my contract pulled? While I didn't spend any money promoting them, I did spend countless hours writing reviews and submitting articles promoting their products. And now I'm out $300+/month - which is a lot of money for someone just getting started.

Sidebar: Whatever happened to customer service? When I graduated from high school back in the early 90's, customer service was all the rage. Every business book and article stressed the importance of providing unparalleled customer service. It was taught that if you didn't treat your customers well, your business was doomed. And who can forget the statistic, "It takes 10 times more money (or whatever the figure was) to obtain a new customer as it takes to keep an existing one."

Now fast forward 15 years...it seems like no company cares about customer service. We have automated phone banks, people who can't speak English, and rude reps who could care less if you take your business elsewhere. I miss the days when the customer was king :'(

Travis
Last edited by tvanslooten on Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tvanslooten

Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:58 am

You were earning $300+ a month and they dumped you? That just sounds crazy to me.

Is there a similar company you can promote instead?
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:59 pm

Allan:

Tell me about it! I told Kevin I realized I was only selling about 2 treadmills per month but I was barely doing any promotion. I assured him I would more than double that once I kick started my promotions. Apparently, it didn't matter. He wouldn't tell me what the threshold was to stay an affiliate. He said they actually let go lots of "under performing" affiliates so I wasn't alone (gee, thanks...).

I do have another company I can promote, but the Smooth Fitness products convert the best.

Travis
tvanslooten

Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:27 pm

Personally I would just dump them and move on. Getting paid on lower conversions is better than not getting paid on higher ones ;)

If you really wanted to promote them despite this issue you could go ahead and switch to the competition with lower conversions, do your promotion and then go back to Smooth Fitness with some hard numbers of what you were doing with the competition once you started promoting things more heavily.

If your promotions are successful with their competitor, I have a feeling they'd be more responsive to your request.
John Lenaghan

Update on my experience with Smooth Fitness

Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:18 pm

I want provide an update on this issue. A few days ago I got a call from the Smooth Fitness affiliate manager. It was totally out of the blue and to say that I was shocked is an understatement!

Long story short, the affiliate manager was passing a lot of his affiliates to an underling of his and he assumed they were being taken care of. The underling no longer works there and somehow the affiliate manager realized I was never taken care of. That is what prompted him to call me.

He apologized prefusely and said he wanted to make sure that I get my contract reinstated immediately. Within 24 hours my contract was reinstated and he assured me this would never happen again. In fact moving forward, he promised to work with me directly.

So while this experience set me back financially for about 6 months, it just goes to show that if you hang in there and don't give up - good things can (and often do) happen. Smooth Fitness could have written me off but they were willing to reinstate my contract and give me another shot. Our communications obviously broke down somewhere along the line but the fact that they made the situation right in the end shows me that they do care about their affiliates.

At any rate, I wanted to bring my "vent" to a conclusion and be fair to Smooth Fitness so that any affiliate that reads this doesn't walk away thinking that Smooth Fitness is a bad company to market for.

Travis
tvanslooten

Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:23 pm

Smooth Fitness Lifetime Warranty backed up all the motors, I believe that these motor build, and should require little, if any, maintenance.Smooth been working hard to keep long-lasting fitness treadmill or less $ 1,000 price range. The new 5.65 treadmill is flat is definitely a "best buy" in its category among the models.
dirksnight

Return to Complaint Corner