Would you help me find my way ?

Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:54 am

How can i get rich fa... ok, just joking :)

Let's start again:

As you have seen from my introduction here, i'm a "techie" person.
I've tried some affiliate marketing regarding men's products (i'm indicating the company, moreniche,the admin may remove the name if it feels inappropriate) but with not much of luck.
My affiliate partner is not responsible for my lack of success: they are an incredible team of talented and helpful people.

I'm blaming my lack of marketing skills... which i suppose i can increase with practice. (that's why i've joined this forum: in order to learn).

So, in your opinion, what could be a good field of affiliate marketing where i could monetize my expertise ? :roll:
garethjax

Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:35 am

Start with Allan's 18 Step Tutorial (bottom of page after "Recommended Resources").

What is your passions? Your hobbies? What do you love? What do you want to write about?
edburdo

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:38 pm

edburdo wrote:Start with Allan's 18 Step Tutorial (bottom of page after "Recommended Resources").

Reading now :)

What is your passions? Your hobbies? What do you love? What do you want to write about?

- I solve technical troubles 8)
- Programming (php and mysql)
- travelling (wish i could do more of that)
- Gaming
- Watching tv series (usually Sci-fi)
garethjax

Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:30 pm

garethjax,

You have talents and interests that you should exploit.

Most marketers are short on the technical side of things. That seems to be your strong point. Make the most of it. MySQL and PHP are technobabble to a lot of us. The only thing I care about them is that they are necessary to make Wordpress work, :-)

Marketing your own strengths is way easier than marketing someone elses.

Just my 2 cents.
Lowell

Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:04 am

I know a lot of techie types that arent too skilled at marketing. I almost wonder if it isnt one of those left brain-right brain things?
GB7691

Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:54 am

You probably have many more skills than the average affiliate, so that's a fantastic start.

I wonder if you could combine programming and your interest in travel?

Instead of building a travel site which is like lots of other travel sites, I wonder if you could build a site which compares travel companies and the services they sell?

Let's take accommodation, for example. There are several affiliate merchants which sell hotel accommodation. Don't just promote one of them. Find all the affiliate merchants who sell hotel accommodation and build a database with a search engine that finds the best deals. (Sorry if someone has already done this.)

Anyway, that's just one idea.

Maybe you could build a MySpace-type site for travelers or an Epinions-type site for travelers.

Spend some time thinking hard about your skills and interests and examine what other people are doing in those fields. Look for ways you could improve on what they're offering, or ways to add some special twist to provide a better service.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:56 am

AllanGardyne wrote:Instead of building a travel site which is like lots of other travel sites, I wonder if you could build a site which compares travel companies and the services they sell?

That would require me to browse and decode many different websites and/or newsletter. That would be a repetitive and tedious work.
In order to automatize the process, i would need to interact with different companies in order to have access to their data and would probably get a lot of negative answers because i'm a nobody.

BUT, i may build something around a "social network", where people send notices on special offers and maybe give opinions on companies.

That could be interesting and useful... heck, i would use a service like that 8)

Anyway, that's just one idea.

They are brilliant ideas, in my opinion :)

Spend some time thinking hard about your skills and interests and examine what other people are doing in those fields. Look for ways you could improve on what they're offering, or ways to add some special twist to provide a better service.

I need to do some research on possible competitors :)

Thanks, i'll keep the forum updated :)
garethjax

Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:14 pm

In order to automatize the process, i would need to interact with different companies in order to have access to their data and would probably get a lot of negative answers because i'm a nobody.

You could do some research on affiliate datafeeds or data feeds and find out what info is already being supplied in a semi-automated form to affiliates. Then you could go further than most affiliates and combine a bunch of datafeeds into one superb source of comparitive data on hotel accommodation, or whatever...
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Return to Affiliate Data Feeds