A question about Autoresponders that has been bugging me!

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:17 am

Hi guys and gals,

This has been buggin me for a long time.

The reason I am asking this question is because of this great debate about using a free autoresponder versus a paid one and the consequences in the long run. Being a bootstrapper, I can understand the need to keep costs low while trying to get a viable business going on the Internet and wanting to go the cost-effective route.

So here's my question:

If you are providing really valuable and useful content to your list, will you really lose half of your subscribers if you switch autoresponders?

My logic tells me NO, but then again,not all of us are logical.

Regards,
Chris
Chris Demetrios

Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:44 am

You can do better than losing 50%, or you can do worse. Your list members don't necessarily read every email you send. So if you try to do this with a one time email, you may lose more than half.

Most of them are lost in the confirmation process, which is the same place many new subscribers don't get beyond.

So when switching ARs it is best to plan it as a campaign, with incentives to get the subscribers to switch over. A freebie offer with an optin form for the new AR, repeated over time, is one way to do this.

I don't know if logic has anything to do with it. I think information overload, time scarcity, and email deliverability might have more to do with losing people than logic. People respond with emotion, and justify their actions with logic.
Lowell

Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:24 pm

Lowell,

Thanks for opening my eyes. What you say makes sense (there goes the logic in me again!)

That is a great idea about implementing the switch over as a campaign!

Regards,
Chris
Chris Demetrios

Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:04 am

Hi Chris,

I agree entirely with Lowel. Because your List is the most important asset of your online business, you have to take care of it as you do to your baby (if you have one of course).

Your list is your bread and butter.

Success,
raymon

Re: A question about Autoresponders that has been bugging me

Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:25 pm

Chris Demetrios wrote:
If you are providing really valuable and useful content to your list, will you really lose half of your subscribers if you switch autoresponders?

Why your subscribers should know about your swithing of autoresponders? You can do that transparently without losing anybody.
radhika

Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:02 am

Hi Chris,

In my 3 years online, I have already used 5 autoresponders. I am currently using aweber and it is the best decision I have made with regards to choosing an autoresponder, even though I lost around 70% of my list because they have to re-confirm again!

I just treated it as a way to clean my list of non-responsive subscribers.

However, I do suggest that you start with your ideal autoresponder (instead of a free one) because it is such a hassle to transfer from one autoresponder to the next.
persuasionwizard

Return to List Building and Newsletters