Highly effective list building tip!

Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:46 pm

Hi all,

I've been using a highly effective means of 'exploding' my list using a technique that few seem to exploit. Now this might be a bit lengthy so stay with me it's worth it!

Now I happen to enjoy reading and collecting antiquarian books and I frequently buy these books through ebay (don't worry this isn't a pitch for starting on ebay...). Anyway, I've bought quite a number of books over the years (some of which were PRETTY expensive...), and I've noticed a couple of interesting things....

1. In all the purchases that I've made I've NEVER (no NEVER), been followed up with an invitation to view a website, join a newsletter, etc, etc. What this means is that the seller went to all that trouble for ONE sale.

2. Now some of these auctions were highly competative with 100's of page views (and many bids) on the item. These were people WANTING to buy but missing out...

3. Few of the sellers took advantage of the ebay About Me page (where it is perfectly legitimate to list your 'favourite' websites, hobbies, etc, etc

Now I've just been browsing a couple of my favourite categories and noticed that many 'Powersellers' simply make one sale at a time and then repeat the process over and over....

So what? I hear you say. Well the point is this; ebay is an excellent resource for not only selling but establishing niche marketplaces, remember these are generally customers SPENDING money as opposed to browsing 'interesting' websites. So here's my technique;

1. I run a site based on a historical niche and once / twice a month run an auction for a related (low value) item in that niche. My 'About Me' page discusses this niche in 'some' detail and includes an invitation to visit my site with a landing page designed for my ebay visitors...

2. In the body of the auction description I ask visitors to visit About Me.

3. I inlcude a 'low value' item to maximise visitors / bidders.

4. I follow up with a Thank You to winners & bidders..... (inviting them to visit my About Me / Website... need to be mindful of eBay TOS!).

I don't mind losing money on the actual item (although I rarely do...) as I view this whole process as a means simply of list building to very targetted visitors who are willing to spend!

As the actual items are low value, the actual 'cost' of building this list is significantly cheaper than PPC or other mediums....

Hope this helps and if anyone uses other 'unconventional' means it might make an interesting thread...
bcowan

Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:18 am

Hi Bill, Useful tip!

Would you care to share actual statistics? Such as how many newsletter subscribers you're getting this way?
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Statistics

Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:59 pm

Alan,

Don't have full stats but the numbers look something like this;

Last Month (June)

I ran 2 auctions and gathered 50 subscibers to my list.

Cost? around $10 ebay fees (listing fee + final sale)

Thats around $0.20 a lead.

Compare this to Google PPC.

My niche clicks cost around $0.50, assuming a conversion of 5% I would have to have spent;

Where 50 leads = 5%, total campaign (50 * 20)= 1000 clicks = $500.

So $10 or $500 for the same number of leads?

Remember on eBay pay your listing fee and 1 or 1000 people may see your ad its a flat rate. These visitors are 'expecting to spend', i.e. they have been QUALIFIED as buyers...

ADDED bonus, these leads are much more responsive to sales / buying. THe PPC leads will, in many cases, be freeloaders collecting 'free' material.

Get the idea?

P.S. You've obviously got to 'work' the auction, most 'ebayers' simply list their goods and return in 7 days to see what's happened. Now you and I knowing a bit more about IM and know all about 'promotion' don't we? So use your IM skills and 'promote' your auction both within ebay and in other area's! Remember this isn't about making a fortune on eBay, it's about exploiting one of the largest (customer) markets on the planet....

PPS. I'm currently writing a fuller guide to this sort of angle, any views on how this may work?
bcowan

Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:59 pm

Sounds a great idea for getting really tightly targeted subscribers, but I suspect your mention of "work" will scare away a lot of people!

Thanks very much for sharing this.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:44 am

Thanks Bill

That is great!

remember these are generally customers SPENDING money as opposed to browsing 'interesting' websites.

The power of a hungry market. Combine that with backend Product #1, #2, #3, etc and you almost have a license to print money.

Off to work on this one...
sophist

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:27 am

Very interesting Idea. You can make money this way when promoting ebooks on eBay.

Using a simple method, a friend of mine does most of his listbuilding this way, and has great success with it.
JordanLH

ebay opt-in

Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:24 am

I am getting half of my subscribers through ebay too.

I sold almost 200 ebooks, and some subscribe to my list.

When I send them the ebbok, I put alink in the email for more infos.

For the others, (thosewho did not subscribe), I got to send them a mail with offers soon.

In my listing, I also put an opt in form.
abou talhah

Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:35 pm

Thanks for the great idea! I'm going to have to try that.
imabigboy

Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:24 am

Hmm. Interesting idea. I've considered ebay before but never took it seriously. Perhaps it's time to give it another look...

Thanks for the constructive post!
Avenator

Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:48 am

Thanks Bill. I love your idea. I never tried it before myself but I certainly will try it now.
jaihyppo

Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:16 pm

Great idea. Only issue now is Ebay has just announced you can't sell ebooks anymore. Banned.

This can still work, you just have to have a tangible product related to your niche.

Thanks for the idea... you've got my mind working on some possibilities already.
wargamer777

Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:27 pm

This is a great tip.

Do you mean that you sell history books and then market your Internet marketing business to the leads you generate?

And they are responsive even though you have switched niche? :?:
David Hurley

Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:15 am

Never bothered with the about me page before but this is something that i intend to start doing after all if it generates another fifty or so leads a month it probably pays for itself and then some.
Blackgreen

Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:50 pm

Ebay.. Hmmm.. I am interested in it.
Not quite understand the tips.
Maybe need a little understanding about
how websites and the internet works. :)

Anyway, this will not stop me from being
part of you guys.. :)
Keep it up!

Regards,

Tim
Bizmind