Small Success Story

Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:46 am

Hi,

Let me just share a small experiment success. I launched a 5 page website late last month. Each page has around 100 words of content and two merchant links. I have to say that it is actually like James Martell's website model. Navs on the side, content in middle and merchant links at the bottom.

It is actually based on a brand that is ofter MIS-SPELLED. I highlighted some products they have and share some history about the company.

The pages that I built are (from my little knowledge) are optimized for search engines for that mis-spelled brand name. But I actually wanted to try my hands on pay-per-click search engine.

Actually prior to the construction of the website, I found that at 7search, the search for the mis-spelled brandname is rather popular (around 2000 per month) and I can get for $0.01 per click. I bid for keywords that has the mis-spelled brandname and some others as well. And I also build a few incoming links from other of my websites.

OK ... the results. Because of the bid, I see that I started to get traffic from 7search. In a few weeks I get traffic from Google and Yahoo as well. OK ... the best part ... on the 7th of Dec, the first sale came in. $3.96 commission, 10th Dec, $9.78. Then it went quite until recently ... $17.48. So that's a total of $31.22.

I think that the sales came from 7Search. In Google I am listed in the 2nd to the 4th page and Google has a correct spelling recommendation. I think a lot think people would click on the correct spelling recommended before they could get to my listing. Anyway ... I do get traffic from Google and Yahoo so I can't really tell.

Oh .. and my 7Search investment on the mis-spelled keywords is just around $10. $10 investment for a $30 return ... about $20 in profit. I suppose that's a good ROI. And another thing ... the website is built on a sub-domain in an existing website that I have.

Just would like to share the small and simple success story here. Hope that this can inspire people to continue doing affiliate marketing.

Sorry that I can't reveal my website, the affiliate programs that I am promoting and keyword that I am using. I have some worries on that. I hope you guys understand ...
kidino

Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:17 am

It's encouraging to hear that you're having some success with a subdomain. I'm doing my own experiment along those lines, and hopefully will have some results to share in a month or so.
thepoolroom

Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:43 am

BTW ... I have a few sites ... I found that product related pages perform better ...

I have another site that has
- a lot of information about the game (a sports thing) and less product info
- and is getting better search engine traffic
- and is getting more traffic than my experimental site
- promotes affiliate programs with higher commission

yet ... my experimental site with 7search outperform that in terms of commission.
kidino

Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:18 am

boom. Profit. Now you have a benchmark.
Jscott

Re: Small Success Story

Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:44 am

kidino wrote:In Google I am listed in the 2nd to the 4th page and Google has a correct spelling recommendation. I think a lot think people would click on the correct spelling recommended before they could get to my listing.

In the good old days, it was possible to do better with optimised misspellings, but nowadays it is more restricted. Have you tried domains for direct type?

Regarding Google's correction, I'm sure it's popular with (careless) searchers, but I always thought it reasonable to exploit other people's mistakes as long as your site is relevant to what they expect to find.

Sorry that I can't reveal my website, the affiliate programs that I am promoting and keyword that I am using. I have some worries on that. I hope you guys understand ...

I certainly do. :wink:

All the best,
Charlie.
Charlie

Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:36 pm

I was trying to promote a product in the home improvement industry. The merchants at commission junction had a strict policy of not using brand names in pay per click.

I also read a thread in a search engine forum that a site could be penalized if it is optimized for mis spelled words.
mikelombardy

Return to General Affiliate Discussion