free autoresponder/newsletter scripts

Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:10 am

I am currently using Autoresponder Unlimited 2.0 and I think that it doesn't work too well. My emails don't seem to be delivered properly - my click-through rate for my course is around 1-2% per email with this and I guess that this is the cause. Another problem is that you also can't send broadcasts to your list.
Is there a better script out there? If so, what does it cost and what can it do?
Do you recommend switching to a paid subscription service like aweber or getresponse?

Any help is appreciated.
Nietzsche

Re: free autoresponder/newsletter scripts

Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:14 pm

Nietzsche wrote:My emails don't seem to be delivered properly - my click-through rate for my course is around 1-2% per email with this and I guess that this is the cause.

I'm assuming your click-through rate determined based on number of clicks divided by number of opened emails. If that's the case, your click through rate would be irrelevant to the fact that a lot of your emails aren't being delievered.

Do you recommend switching to a paid subscription service like aweber or getresponse?

I love aweber and their delivery percentages are extremely high.
robertb

Re: free autoresponder/newsletter scripts

Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:26 pm

robertb wrote:I'm assuming your click-through rate determined based on number of clicks divided by number of opened emails.

Actually it was determined by: number of clicks/number of emails sent. Sorry for putting this badly.
Nietzsche

Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:21 pm

Hi Nietzsche,

When I was started building my list I use http://www.responsebot.com (now I'm using Aweber). It has its paid version, but the free version is enough to get you going.

The free version of Responsebot supports up to 2,500 subscribers and 21 follow up messages. It has personalization features, a broadcasting feature and the ability to export your subscribers to other autoresponder.

It's ad supported, but when I was still using it, the ad is unobstrusive (not sure now, since the owner now is different) - it's only a two lines ad in the footer that promote Responsebot itself (no third-party ad).

You can see the details at http://www.responsebot.com/compare.htm

I hope that helps.

Regards,
Zaki
mzakih

Thanks!

Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:39 pm

Thanks, Zaki!
That sounds pretty good. I've been trying Getresponse's free service. Wonder how it works. But it seems like there are too many ads.
Nietzsche

Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:38 pm

Hi Nietzsche,

You're very welcome!

Regards,
Zaki
mzakih

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:53 pm

What good is all the work of building an effective autoresponder series if the emails you send don't even make it to your subscribers inbox?

If you have another ad that is in the top spot, as in the free autoresponders, you automatically are cutting your response rate. I'd like to say by 50% but in truth some will click on both the ad and read your message too.

You get what you pay for. 8)
Lowell

Getresponse free not worth the effort

Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:28 am

I've tried Getresponse's free service and I really didn't like it. There were too many ads and they've restricted the amount of autoresponder-mails you can send to 5. I'll go with responsebot now. It seems to be a great service and the ad they have is not of concern to me. Maybe I'll stay there. If my newsletter turns out to be profitable, I guess I'll switch to aweber.

I just like to keep my initial investment as low as possible. I'm currently still trying, so I think it's reasonable to start with free services and move on to better paid services later on. I'd rather spend the 20 bucks a month on advertising to grow my list first.
Nietzsche

Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:35 am

It is hard to switch. You will lose a LOT of subscribers when you switch autoresponder services. Many free services end up in the spam black hole at major ISPs. Just a heads up.
Lowell

Hmm...

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:07 am

Hmm... Well, I've already spent my budget for this month. I guess I'll have a try with aweber next month to see if there are any major differences.
Thanks for the hint!
Nietzsche

Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:20 pm

...I am currently using Autoresponder Unlimited 2.0 and I think that it doesn't work too well. My emails don't seem to be delivered properly - my click-through rate for my course is around 1-2% per email with this and I guess that this is the cause. Another problem is that you also can't send broadcasts to your list.

Actually you can broadcast. Using your text editor, simply delete date(s) from your status.cfg. Also make sure you check your message number or sequence, so you won't send or resend a duplicate letter.

Hope this helps
jjw1033

Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:06 pm

I use aweber aswell, only $20 a month a so easy to setup. Unlimited accounts too

Lisa
lisa1979

Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:08 am

When I was started building my list I use http://www.responsebot.com (now I'm using Aweber). It has its paid version, but the free version is enough to get you going.

Thanks for that advice mzakih ... I have been looking for an autoresponder like this one. I too was using a crappy script based one like the original poster (autoresponder unlimited 2.0) ... not very professional. this has a good feel about it.

Appreciate the assistance. :)
Scrampy

Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:04 am

Hi Scrampy,

You're welcome!

One thing that I must said though that moving subscribers later to another autoresponder can be a hassle, so if you have some money, it's better to just invest on a reliable paid one such as Aweber.

Thanks,
Zaki
mzakih

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:38 am

This debate over free eMail autoresponder scripts and services vs. the paid ones is a constant topic on most marketing forums. This thread has some age to it, but still gets posts.

One thing many people fail to consider is that there are potential legal ramifications (in the US at least) if you mess up in this area. We have a LAW called CAN-SPAM.

If you self-host a free or paid script, then the CAN-SPAM compliance and the deliverability issues are on your back. Basically, it is you against some large ISP who really doesn't care about you and your subscribers when you get a complaint. Notice I said when.

If one or two AOL users click the SPAM button, there goes your deliverability there. And so on with Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.

Too many complaints and your web host and domain name registrar may get involved too. I don't know about you, but I don't have time for all that.

Because of this, a marketer you may know of, Mike Filsaime, uses a private label version of Aweber. Mike has hundreds of thousands on his lists. In a recent Warrior forum post, he states that he should have used it from the beginning.

Last I heard, Jonathan Mizel has over a million on his Aweber lists.

I use it too.

What do these marketers know that you aren't thinking about? Delivery and conversion. Why send emails that don't get read? The more that get read, the higher your conversion. End of story.

Yes it costs $19.95 a month. If you can't envision making more than twice that from email list marketing after a month or two, why would you even want to go through all the work of email list marketing?

Don't have anything to sell? Just want to keep in touch with site vistors? Then blog and use one of the free email notification services that cater to the blogging crowd. Your blog will get traffic to your main site. The notification emails will get them to come back to your site or blog. And of course you need to make it easy for folks to get your RSS feed.
Lowell

Next

Return to List Building and Newsletters