Which online website builder do you use?

Tue May 30, 2006 5:26 am

James Martell recommends using [Link deleted. Admin.]
However, James is only repackaging this software & selling it at almost twice the monthly price.

Do you know his source in Canada for this online website builder?
ascendedmind

Tue May 30, 2006 7:39 am

If it's rebranded software, then the link you posted qualifies as an affiliate link, which doesn't belong in your post. Anyone know for sure if that's what is being done?
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Tue May 30, 2006 2:53 pm

So not only has James repackaged the service, he's also bumped the price? Wow. Yeah, I'd like to know as well please! :D
Sham Rele

Sorry Allan ,but I was not trying to promote the webbuilder.

Tue May 30, 2006 3:55 pm

I am somewhat disappointed in what James Martell is recommending as the ez-webbuilder costs $29.95 per monthly per site, which includes hosting.

This is not cost-effective if your building dozens of affiliate & adsense sites.

Go with "site Build it "instead if that is your choice.
ascendedmind

Tue May 30, 2006 7:13 pm

I just replied to a private message asking about these types of tools - there is another thread which discusses the pro's and con's...

A server based solution like this means that you are relying on "up time" to work on your sites. What does that mean? You need an internet connection to access the tool in order to work.

Another consideration is hosting. Does the company allow you to host the site yourself? That provides you with the ability to create your own back-ups of your work. Even if a company provides a back-up service, it may not be in sync with your working copy of the site. So it's really key that you can manage this component yourself.

And of course, hosting control also provides you with the ability to know with whom your site is being host. Does your host take care to monitor the types of sites? Are you sharing space or can you obtain a private hosting space? It's all about being in a good neighbourhood and if you're host with shabby neighbours, I believe it can reflect poorly on your site's standing (anyone have confirmation on that - cause I'm fairly sure of that but not 100%).

Anyhow - I thought I would share the overall reply which I sent to this person as it does help newcomer's to weigh-up the options.

I haven't worked with SBI myself but do recommend you check out Dr. Andy Williams tools. No link - you'll have to just go looking or maybe Allan has a review on this site you can read. Andy is brilliant and offers some great SEO solutions. You buy them - own it - build as many sites as you like and he offers fantastic customer support as well as a great community forum (private only to his customers).

That's my 2 cents :)
Andrea Thomson

Listen to Andrea she is correct about her recommendation

Tue May 30, 2006 7:49 pm

The site builder recommended by James Martell does not allow you to host on other hosting services.

James also recommends using Frontpage but ancedotal evidence reveals that experienced webmasters view this with disdain due to its line of code.

But if James is getting top SEO rankings using Frontpage then it must be ok.
ascendedmind

Re: Listen to Andrea she is correct about her recommendation

Tue May 30, 2006 8:25 pm

ascendedmind wrote:James also recommends using Frontpage but ancedotal evidence reveals that experienced webmasters view this with disdain due to its line of code.

But if James is getting top SEO rankings using Frontpage then it must be ok.

The newest version of Frontpage (2003) is actually not all that bad for extra code. The earlier versions were though.

James doesn't use Frontpage on his sites. I think he talked about it on one of the Buzz episodes. He's been using a custom content management system in the past. Whether he's using this new system himself or just recommending it is hard to say.

No matter how fast you get with Frontpage, it's not very scalable when you get beyond a handful of sites.

If you're using writers to create content, Frontpage is not really a very effective system. You're better off to have a content management system where they can upload the articles directly to the site and you can just log in to proofread and approve them.

Once approved, they get added to the sitemap, linked to other pages and posted on the site automatically.

I don't know if this new system JM is recommending does all that but there are many other options for doing it that cost less (or nothing). Dr. Andy has some like Andrea mentioned, and there are plenty of other free ones too, although you need to be somewhat technically inclined for most of them.
flexprimo

Tue May 30, 2006 8:30 pm

If you're using writers to create content, Frontpage is not really a very effective system. You're better off to have a content management system where they can upload the articles directly to the site and you can just log in to proofread and approve them

Dr. Andy's Content Publisher tool can be used in addition to any HTML editor - it's meant for quickly adding articles in an efficient manner.

User's of FrontPage may wish to note that Microsoft will no longer be developing this software as their new Expressions solution will be their primary HTML editor. That doesn't mean you couldn't continue with FP 2003 if you already own it, but I would probably hold off buying it if you don't already own it. Expressions will be released soon and is supposed to be far superior.

Cheers,
Andrea
Andrea Thomson

Andrea, do you recommend using Expressions ?

Tue May 30, 2006 8:52 pm

Do you think Expressions will have a steep learning curve in building sites?
ascendedmind

Tue May 30, 2006 9:38 pm

If you're using writers to create content, Frontpage is not really a very effective system. You're better off to have a content management system where they can upload the articles directly to the site and you can just log in to proofread and approve them.

I'm using FP2003 for my first site and I'm having my articles written by writers. What good content management system would you (and others here) recommend? This would be great, as adding articles constantly is getting rather tedious.
Sham Rele

Tue May 30, 2006 11:05 pm

Do you think Expressions will have a steep learning curve in building sites?

Microsoft tends to create very user-friendly software so I would guess it will be fairly easy to learn.

I'm using FP2003 for my first site and I'm having my articles written by writers. What good content management system would you (and others here) recommend? This would be great, as adding articles constantly is getting rather tedious.

Dr. Andy's Content Publisher tool can be used to work with Dreamweaver or FrontPage - so I suspect it will also adapt nicely with Expressions.

Keep in mind that nobody can determine if software will be user-friendly for you :) It's a good idea to get a few reviews and try to determine if the recommendations come from people who share you level of experience / comfort with software. By finding those commonalities, you're likely to know if it would be a good solution for *you*.

Hope that helps -
Andrea Thomson

Wed May 31, 2006 10:24 pm

Thanks for that :)

Can't seem to find Andy's content publisher though.

Could you PM me the link?
Sham Rele

Wed May 31, 2006 10:47 pm

Andy's site is called ezseonews and you can google him - from his site, I'm not sure where you can read about this software... but drop him an email and ask.

Cheers,
Andrea
Andrea Thomson

Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:24 am

One of the easiest CMS is Word Press.
You can make sites look like static html pages yet have search engine advantages that those static sites do not have.
WP is ideal for any content publisher.
Hope this helps
Larry
blackstone

Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:59 am

the pages dont end in .html or .htm

so what are you on about when you are saying

"You can make sites look like static html pages"
edhelp1

Next

Return to James Martell's Methods