naming conventions....

Thu May 11, 2006 3:44 pm

I have noticed with martell's sites and others who follow his technique closely use this type of naming convention for their pages...

"www.domain.com/1234-keyword-phrase-for-the-SE.htm"
"www.domain.com/1235-another-keyword-phrase.htm"

etc. Then after a few of those (like 20 or 30), they will mix it up a bit and throw in a number thats not in sequence completely but rather in seqeunce a few hundred up or down (repeating that range of numbers in sequence for another 20 or 30, then rinse and repeat)...

what is the purpose of doing that? Does it work for you? Im almost done writing all my articles for my first mainstream site and want to know the best way to name my articles and link them.

[I've placed quotes around the example URLs to unhyperlink them. Allan Gardyne, Admin.]
robato

Thu May 11, 2006 8:31 pm

My guess is the number in the URL is based on the article ID number in Martell's database; it has no SEO significance.
robertb

Fri May 12, 2006 11:27 pm

It would be better, from an SEO perspective, to leave the number out altogether, in fact.
rlray216

Sat May 20, 2006 2:48 am

It would be better, from an SEO perspective, to leave the number out altogether, in fact.

How would you handle writing 10 pages on the same phrase?

my-big-money-phrase.html
1-my-big-money-phrase.html
2-my-big-money-phrase.html
3-my-big-money-phrase.html
4-my-big-money-phrase.html

Each page can cover the same topic but different content.

All the Best

Gary
speedguide

Sun May 21, 2006 9:06 pm

I wouldn't use the exact same phrase for 10 different pages. I'd use variations and other phrases that people search for.

my-big-money-phrase.html
big-money-phrases.html
large-dollar-keywords.html
highest-paying-keyword-phrases.html
best-money-making-phrase.html

Each page can cover more or less the same content, but will receive traffic from a wider variety of searches.

speedguide wrote:

How would you handle writing 10 pages on the same phrase?

my-big-money-phrase.html
1-my-big-money-phrase.html
2-my-big-money-phrase.html
3-my-big-money-phrase.html
4-my-big-money-phrase.html

Each page can cover the same topic but different content.

All the Best

Gary
rlray216

Sun May 21, 2006 9:58 pm

I'd use variations and other phrases that people search for.

Agreed but there may be multiple things you can write on with the same phrase.

Assume a highly seached phrase was: beating a speeding ticket

You could write multiple articles on that search phrase:
5 tips on beating a speeding ticket - 1000-beating-a-speeding-ticket.html
beating a speeding ticket can increase insurance cost - 1001-beating-a-speeding-ticket.html
beating a speeding ticket adding points to your liscense - 1002-beating-a-speeding-ticket.html
What Not to say to the judge when beating a speeding ticket - 1003-beating-a-speeding-ticket.html

I've run into multiple times when I want to add an identifier in front on the keyphrase.

This is especially true when you're going deep on a topic.

All the Best,

Gary
speedguide

Sun May 21, 2006 11:29 pm

Hey Gary

LTNS

I use similiar software for my articles and try not to use the numbers. If I have to I put them on the end of the keywords. Just something that I do. I think the number may confuse the search engines so I try not to bother with them.
nyfalcon

Mon May 22, 2006 2:37 am

Vinny,

I try not to use them but at times it sure helps me in organization. Honestly I think the SE's "machines" are smarter than we give them credit. I think the key is having the phrase in the name and that a number doesn't confuse them at all.

I have some sites with 1,000's of images. The images are named by record number and the page corresponds to the image number associated with the record number.

Many of my sites are growing very large in size and using numbers does help me. I started looking at accounting systems and the chart of accounts. I asked myself what would a "chart of accounts" look like in a corporation with literally 10,000 "slots" to track things. I wanted to plan for a site that will get over 10,000 pages... numbers can also help you departmentalize the task. why you ask...

Have you ever built a site map which was a site map of site maps to track 10,000 pages. Numbers makes it very straight forward.

Let's say I wanted to build a financial site - mortgages, insurance etc

all articles for florida could start - 101
california - 102
New Yor - 103

mortgages - 1
debt reduction - 2
insurance - 3
homeowners insurance - 3
auto insurance - 4

etc

if my keywords were:

Florida first mortgages
Miami mortgages
Miami mortgage
miami insurance
california insurance

it makes it easier for my to update having established a "system"

1011-Florida first mortgages
1011-Miami mortgages
1011-Miami mortgage
1013-miami insurance
1033-california-insurance

Since we're discussing california insurance... how about ca insurance? Is that california or Canada?

I'm sure my explaination is not clear... If you make it to CJU this year make sure we sit down and I'll explain it better. It's clear in my mind - but as many will tell you - that does mean it's understandable!

I basically want a solution that is scalable and natural.

In the end I have not found numbers used along with the keyword to be an issue at all.

I hope that helps.

Gary
speedguide

Mon May 22, 2006 4:48 am

speedguide wrote:I try not to use them but at times it sure helps me in organization. Honestly I think the SE's "machines" are smarter than we give them credit. I think the key is having the phrase in the name and that a number doesn't confuse them at all.

I notice dynamic URL's more and more in the search results lately (www.domain. com/index.php?article#blah&blah&blah...)

I think if they're indexing purely dynamic sites with no related keywords in the URL, they're not going to be too concerned about a number in ours.

I'm sure the keyword-rich page names are still easier for them to deal with, but I think they'll just keep getting better at "figuring out" what a page is about and indexing it appropriately, regardless of whether the keywords are in the URL or not.

In the long term, I don't think it's going to make much of a difference either way.

John
John Lenaghan

Mon May 22, 2006 11:26 am

John,

Agreed for sure. I think using numbers for our organization makes sense if needed, blogs use them in the URL all the time.

Gary
speedguide

Wed May 24, 2006 9:58 pm

It depends too on how competitive your industry is. I work in very competitive industries, so I need every advantage I get. At the end of the day, having the numbers in the URL decrease the keyword density in the URL. Probably doesn't matter at all for most small niche markets, but in a competitive market, you need every tiny edge you can get.
rlray216

Thu May 25, 2006 11:26 pm

Gary

I got it and I can see how this would help in that situation as I have a similiar problem site that I wish I used that on or something similiar.

My problem is with the url in the search results pages. Myself I would never click on a link like "www.anysite.com/1001-free-money-online" as it looks just plain spammy to me.

On another note it doesn't look like I am making it out to cju this year either. Would rather spend more time in Las Vegas :) Looks like I may buy a house out there.
nyfalcon

Thu May 25, 2006 11:36 pm

Vinny,

I know what you're taking about - clicking on "numbered" URL's. But, you must pay attention much more to page names than I do...

Go look at askthebuilder.com -- lots of traffic and lots of pages starting with a number. I'll take his 1,500 daily in adsense and URL's with numbers than one without anyday of the week!

So I guess that means we meet in Vegas!

All the Best

Gary
speedguide

Return to James Martell's Methods