Since Blogging has become popular and useful to marketers today, here are few ways that may be useful for promoting your blog:
1. Commenting on other people's blogs : Comment fairly on other people's (similar to your's); Make sure you post relavant and useful comments, otherwise you'll be considered spam. Commenting helps you get : Spiders, New visitors and useful backlinks.
2. List your blog on blogtopsites (Google hasn't considered these linkfarms yet). May get you new visitors and SE placements.
[Link edited to make it work. Admin.]
3. Allowing commenting on your blog and inviting new users to contribute. This is a basic use within a blog itself. Comments help give your blog a certain popularity and maybe an identity. Blogs such as Wordpress and Blogger allow multiple users to contribute to a blog. However this may take time as you may have to wait till your blog gets some traffic.
4. Try traffic exchange for blogs such as www.blogxchange.com
(similar to trafficswarm); I'am not keen on it.
5.Posting reviews of products that may help your visitors. Blogs not only allow you to give your personal opinion, thier main flexibilty lies in using other people's articles, reviews etc without copyright issues (Complete article and review duplication is harmful though; You may add your personal opinion on someone's articles; Usually they'll be happy because your sending them traffic)
6. If you're using blogs like Wordpress, several plugins (extensions) allow you to aggregate RSS feeds, Easy insertion and promotion of affiliate links etc. So consider changing over to Wordpress or MovableType over from Blogger-type blogs.
7. Use Services like www.feedburner.com
which allow your Blog's feed to be easily distributed in a ready format to your site users. They also allow email subscription of your feeds.
8. Another way of posting fresh content is by using News sources such as News sections of Google, MSN, Yahoo etc. If you pick up an article fast, you may rank well in the SEs. You can also pick up fresh news from ww.PRweb.com or submit your press-releases which helped me getting some traffic from SEs (for my food blog)
9. Hosting your own blog is a better option (or use a host which give you free or cheap PHP hosting). Since many blogs are based on PHP, you are easily in control in case you want to expand your Blog.
10. Sometimes, if you look up your server stats, you may find that visitors may have landed up in a totally different post then they intended (from the Search Engines). try fixing up your Permalinks or post a new post related to the search term. For example people might have searched for " sports trivia " and somehow they landed up in your post " Sports in England" , where you have nothing to offer in "sports trivia". Then write a new post on sports trivia and make sure you link to this post from the "sports in England" post
11. Apart from regular adsense and other ads, you can opt for Ads for your feeds such as :
Though not popular, these ads allow you to monetize your RSS feeds.
12. For clickbank prducts you can try www.affiliatesensor.com
which allow you to display contextual Clickbank ads (with or without images).
13. A popular way of promtion is through services like technorati which allow users to find your blog or post through tags. For example you've made a post on Traveling to the Vatican and tagged it as "Travel to Vatican", tecnorati may help people find your blog post on that topic. Technorati is a definite and a must-use option for any blogger. www.technorati.com
14. Social Bookmarking is another must-have for a blogger. Allowing people to Bookmark your Blog and specific posts help spread your blog's popularity. Social bookmarking sites are also a nice way to get many visitors fast to your site.
Apart from social bookmarking these sites ( Digg and Furl) allow you to submit "stories" or to specific articles on your blog which may bring immediate traffic.
15. Some ways, other than news sources, to get articles are RSS feeds ffrom other sites/blogs. RSS feed search engines like
allow you to get RSS feeds from million os sites.
16. If posting directly to blogs using thier GUI seems difficult to you try tools like Wbloggar ( free ) or Post2blog ( trial)
that allow you post, edit and retrieve to one or many of your blogs right from your desktop. This is helpful if you post many articles a day and hate to use your Blogger's interface. Post2Blog even allows you to add adsense and chitka codes to your ads.
17. Sometimes your Sever Stats (Keywords, referrers) may give you valuable info on search terms that you may have improvised on. In such cases do a research for those terms and make new posts.
18. Some Plugins (Wordpress) allow you display Popular posts, related posts etc. These may help keep the Stickiness to your blog
19. Also make use of tradtional Link exchanges like : www.linkmarket.com
(I think now they are a paid service). Even though some may not find this useful, Search engines and people may find you through these directories.
20. Sites like www.blogexplosion.com
allow traffic exchanges. members of this service are required to surf other member blogs before they earn credits. These credits can then be used for Posting free ads on member blogs for a particular time-period.
21. Linking to other blogs can be made easier with www.blogrolling.com
which allow you to easily add and manage links.
22. You may try for a blogger award from sites like www.bloggies.com
( a private awardee). These may make you famous (If you win :wink: ) and more popular. Alternatively if money is lying in your bank sponsor an award and be famous :) .
23. Another alternative to adsense is www.blogads.com
. This is gaining popularity among bloggers and may provide you with additional monetizing opps.
24. Podcasting and Videoblogging are extras that you may use to enhance popularity (though I don't use them). Sites like www.youtube.com
allow you to upload videos and then directly embed them in your blog using thier code.
25. Scripts like MagpieRSS, CARP RSS, FeedforALL allow you display other sites feed or feeds in a search engine friendly format. Helpful if you want additional content to supplement yours.
26. Using Photo hosting services like www.Flickr.com
(Yahoo) may save a lot of your bandwith ( If you're hosting your own blog). Wordpress and MovableType Blogs provide plugins which allow easy photo posting Through Flickr.
27. Though Pinging ( Announcing to the world when you've posted a new article) is part of many blogging platforms some don't offer that facility.
pinging) and www.feedburner.com
(pinging and many other features) offer you just that.
28. Stickiness to your blog may be improved by : Quizzes , Polls and other such fun-stuff. People may atleast be willing to play and have fun even though they didn't find what they were looking for.
29. Categorization of Posts (offered by many Blog softwares except Blogger) help vistors and SEs find relavant topics easily. If you 're using blogger consider switching over to Wordpress or Movabletype
which is a huge company running a blognetwork on different topics, accept Bloggers and content writes to write articles for thier blogs or allow you to run your own blogs. You're paid to write good articles. Apart from getting good publicity you also get good traffic and get paid fot that.
31. Last but not the least and the most important is CONTENT which keeps people coming over to blogs again and again.
Cheers and Success be with us all.