How do you get people to open your emails?

Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:51 am

First of all, I'll share the little I know on this:
All I know is that it's good to include their first name in the Subject-line. Another thing would be to build anticipation via prior mails to make sure that people open the email you want them to open.

Of course the basic rule must be met, too:
The message has to be relevant to the subscriber and fit the reason why he subscribed in the first place.

Did I miss anything?

And how do you get them to click through to your site?
How often do you put your links in the email?
Where do you put them and why?
What CTRs do you get?
If you send an email, how much traffic do you get to the advertised site on average?

Thanks for any help on this.
Nietzsche

How do you get people to open your emails?

Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:03 pm

Hi Nietzsche,

I've used autoresponders in the past and have found that GetResponse has been the best. http://Getresponse.com

You can start for free but recommend a pro upgrade...

Good luck to you....

Ron
Ronirish

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:37 am

Buddy its more than personalization... or using anticipation etc(but if you master creating anticipation then You'll be miles ahead of tire kickers)

And how do you get them to click through to your site?
I can talk about it but it'd take ages.. Jimmy D brown has a course on it.. It's amazing course kind of costly(290 USD)

How often do you put your links in the email?
Always. I do not prefer long emails. and My CTR is pretty good

Where do you put them and why?
Didn't get you.... normally if I have a 8-10 line of message, then my link would be around 6-7th line.

What CTRs do you get?
my 2nd email in series gets around 30%
My 3rd email in series gets around 25%
right Now this is new list.. and I m having trouble with my 4th/5th in the series... may be bad headline.. I'll have to check that..
Like I said I m still learning..

If you send an email, how much traffic do you get to the advertised site on average?
I just started building list so the traffic isn't that good... It'd be fun when I'll be able to have 2-3k people in my list...

Varun
varunpratap

Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:14 am

varunpratap wrote:And how do you get them to click through to your site?
I can talk about it but it'd take ages.. Jimmy D brown has a course on it.. It's amazing course kind of costly(290 USD)

Hm. Maybe you can give me just some points? I know of the Zeigarnic effect that Mark Joyner used to promote. It seems very effective.
But thanks for the reference to the course. I might look into it.

varunpratap wrote:How often do you put your links in the email?
Always. I do not prefer long emails. and My CTR is pretty good

Thanks for that. But I think you misunderstood my question. I wanted to know how many links you put into one email. Well, it looks like that was my poor wording.

varunpratap wrote:Where do you put them and why?
Didn't get you.... normally if I have a 8-10 line of message, then my link would be around 6-7th line.

So you usually put only one link into them, which makes sense given that you have a 8-10 line message. Have you tried putting the link into a longer email several times? Is your method of short email plus link better?
I just wanted to know if you tested your approach against others.

varunpratap wrote:What CTRs do you get?
my 2nd email in series gets around 30%
My 3rd email in series gets around 25%
right Now this is new list.. and I m having trouble with my 4th/5th in the series... may be bad headline.. I'll have to check that..
Like I said I m still learning..

Sounds quite good to me. I wonder what other people get.

varunpratap wrote:If you send an email, how much traffic do you get to the advertised site on average?
I just started building list so the traffic isn't that good... It'd be fun when I'll be able to have 2-3k people in my list...

I wish you all the luck. Thanks for your detailed answer.
Nietzsche

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:01 pm

Have you tried putting the link into a longer email several times? Is your method of short email plus link better?

Nope... I am testing things out.. Right now my messages are of varying Length. my first message in series is about 25 lines, with 1 link. I don't think I can even repeat the link again...
then my second n third message are of 8-10 lines...

May be I am just being paranoid with spam filters... I'll try out long messages too.

Oh check Your PM
Varun
varunpratap

Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:47 pm

I am quite new and young, but I was asking my mom the very same thing today, and she said - first, if people have opted into your newsletter they must have some interest. But, you still have to keep them interested enough to open the newsletter. How many newsletters have you opted into, then automatically regretted it.

She says what she used to do was send out a newsletter every week. She made most of her major changes to the content of her site once a week, so anything she had changed, she put links to in her newsletter.

The title in her email for the newsletter would always be something teasing that her prospect would really want to know. She did this every week without fail, then watched all the extra hits on her site. Her site was successful but she was forced to give it up for personal reasons - i am working on a new version of the same subject from scratch.

Anyway - i believe in her methods because she has gone on to use them in other businesses. And after she packed in the newsletters, before packing in the site - people were emailing her and telling her how much they missed her newsletters!
richerbrat

emails

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:05 am

I'll tell you what kind of newsletters I don't like reading:

-Ones that have graphics included
-Ones that are too long
-Ones that seem too auto-response-like
-Ones that come too frequently

I can't wait to personalize my own messages and attract more readers :)

Thanks,

Liane Bate
leb123z

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:26 pm

I have recently mailed another Newsletter issue which has a CTR of more than 53%... and I feel really cool :D

part of the reason why this is so success.
1. Highly focussed list.
2. Highly focussed Content (providing real value).
3. My own personality conveying in the course itself than just automated autoresponder series..
4. Creating anticipation(I'd like to think so :D).

Varun
varunpratap

personality

Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:57 am

I agree....you can totally tell when an email is not coming
directly from the person's heart and soul....People don't
want a machine-generated message on their machine,
they want a human being with character on their machine!
A voice they can trust that sounds real and honest!
Something like that Robin Williams Robot, whatever that
was called! hehehe!

Liane Bate
leb123z

Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:48 pm

Provide solid helpful content .

Email once a week , use teaser headlines and do this for the first month .

If you did a great job on the content they'll start looking for your email .

2'nd month: Time to get really personal and train them to open your emails just by seeing your name .

Email 3 days in a row , on the third day promise to send them a email tomorow/the next day as well .

Email them an entire week later instead and use no subject line .

The day you miss they'll probably get kind of pissed at you but you've been good to them so you can afford a no show :wink:

When they get their next email with no subject line they will open up quick to find out why you are so late and to get their fill . Offer no reason for being late , just more solid content .

Go back to once a week now and continue to use no subject line .

From this point on never email two weeks in a row on the same day :evil:
How long does it take you to open a email up that your expecting ?

Always make sure every email is content rich or you'll start to lose readership and subscribers .

To your success !
J.Tabor

Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:43 pm

So this mean little trick works at increasing the actual reading rate? It sounds reasonable, though. They learn that they want to read your emails. It's a bit mean. But it sounds like it could work. I'll give it a try. Thanks a lot!
Nietzsche

Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:31 pm

Nietzsche wrote:So this mean little trick works at increasing the actual reading rate? It sounds reasonable, though. They learn that they want to read your emails. It's a bit mean. But it sounds like it could work. I'll give it a try. Thanks a lot!

Ahh it's not mean :lol:

Your just helping them think about how much your emails mean to them personally .

Training is the keyword here .

As long as you deliver solid content your emails will get read much faster .

It's about gaining higher priority over all of the other newsletters there getting .

If I can't be #1 then I dont feel welcome on your pc or lap top . Show me where [we] stand by opening my emails asap and read what I'm sharing with you !

You'll know if you have a good relationship with your subscribers when you no longer have to use teaser subject lines , your open % rate dont drop and the time it takes most of your subscribers to open it from the time you send an email remains satisfactory with you .
Last edited by J.Tabor on Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J.Tabor

Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:35 pm

J.Tabor wrote:You'll know if you have a good relationship with your subscribers when you no longer have to use teaser subject lines , your open % rate dont dont drop and the time it takes most of your subscribers to open it from the time you send an email remains satisfactory with you .

These are good tips. Thank you very much.

Oh, and for your clarification above, too. :D
Nietzsche

Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:18 pm

Another thing too is that if they want , anxiously wait for and enjoy your emails well with out a subject line there's no hint as to what you've wrote next.

They must open them up to find out . So when my email arrive I'm late or early as usual , they want it and there's no clue as to what it's about this time .

This is where ones curiosity continuously work in your favor and can add a little speed to your open rate .

Imagine if I started sending you a free check every week for different amounts .

Wouldn't you be extremely curious about how much I'm going to send you next week after you learned I never send the same amount ?

What would you/one most likely open first when you/they get back in the house and you/they have in your/their hand some junk mail , bills and a free check thats never for the same amount thats either late or early ?

Remember something you want , something you anticipate and something you have to open to satisfy your own curiosity .

By the way your welcome :wink:
J.Tabor

Make it personal

Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:15 pm

Hi all...I find that personalization may be the real key here. Include their first name in the subject line. It's a lot of work but GetResponse is supposed to be one of the best at auto-responding with the message YOU want to convey. I am waiting to see.
woody7

Next

Return to List Building and Newsletters