Re: Advice about seo

Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:41 am

Hi,

Can you tell me if optimizing blogs for good search engine rankings is the same as for websites. I've got a few free ones at blogger.com.

Would the free course by Brad Callen be a good way to learn how to go about doing this?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Andrea
Andrea21

Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:51 am

Hi there andrea,
The problem with blogger is that you can't add any sort of plugin to it. Though You can do Basic SEO, Keyword in heading, text etc etc...

unlike wordpress where you have plugins to put keyword meta tag n descriptions goes a long way.

Even then this shouldn't make you shy away from blogger... I have one of my profitable blog on blogger(they scratched my 2nd profitable one :( )

Note : Guys if you are using Blogger remember one things they are taking spam blogs quite seriously and their spam flag went up even with the mention of marketing. If It does. then they give you 10 days to prove that it's not a splog. if you do prove, they won't delete your account.

I think my blog got deletted cuz it flagged the spam bot and I didnt get it verified in 10 days.. There goes all my precious traffic

Varun Pratap
varunpratap

Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:01 pm

Hi,

Thank you for replying. When you say plugin, do you mean we can't include any information in the meta tags and so on? If that's the case, how can someone get a good ranking with blogger.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Andrea
Andrea21

Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:13 pm

Andrea

With say a Wordpress blog there are plugins (scripts, programs) you can add to Wordpress to make it more search engine friendly.

i.e. META description and keyword tags, Title tag format, static appearing urls etc.

with blogger while it's easy to manage content we have no control as users over the appearce of the HTML code outside our page layout, and content.

-ihenman
ihenman

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:10 pm

When you say plugin, do you mean we can't include any information in the meta tags and so on

Yes, we can't do that on blogger account. This is one of the bad things.. but I can't blaim blogger I hav some of my best blogs on blogger.

The only thing you can do is change layout and basic blogger template. that's it.
Varun Pratap
varunpratap

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:35 pm

Hi,

Thank you ihenman and Varunpratap for replying. I think I will have to eventually create a website with the same kind of information that is contained in my blogs.

Andrea
Andrea21

Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:06 am

Hello Andrea
I had a look at your blog and it is such a big one I have been wondering why you did not just have a "normal" website with all the information anyway. Because than you can use all your SEO techniques. Keep the blog as an addition and together with your website you will increase your traffic.
Cheerio
Leokadia
leokadia

Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:18 pm

Hi,

Thank you for replying Leokadia. I am actually thinking of getting a website as well to be able to do the search engine optimization.

I am thinking of either creating one large website with different character themes or one website each for each character. I am not sure what to do, what do you think?

Andrea
Andrea21

Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:50 pm

If you think you have enough content to shell out a site for each sub-niche then go for it. You could get them all on C class ip addresses and link them together.

But your niche is already "nichy", being disney princess stuff. I'd suggest building a site to house all the different disney priness stuff.
Voasi

Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:45 pm

Hi,

Thank you for replying Voasi. I agree with your suggesting about creating a Disney Princess website for all the products.

I am also interested in creating a website for other character products as well and would therefore need to create a website for each of those characters as well. The other option is to have one large website for all of the characters.

Andrea
Andrea21

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:28 am

Recently i was surfing around the net on how to profit from a blog. A blog is slightly different from a static website since it requires you to write in a different manner and you are more open in your writing i.e personal connection with visitors. One of the best websites i have seen regrading blogs and monetizing from blogs has to be www.problogger.net
In one of the posts, Darren the author discusses as to why you should be writing more for humans than for computers (SEs), i.e focus less on the SEO part. But there are a lot of pther topics that the website discusses from how to structure your blog, to finding themes, having a niche etc etc. You may want to take a look at that site if you want to move seriuosly into blogging.
deadlyminds

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:48 pm

Hi,

I appreciate the website address. I will check it out.

Andrea
Andrea21

Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:04 am

Andrea21 wrote:I am also interested in creating a website for other character products as well and would therefore need to create a website for each of those characters as well. The other option is to have one large website for all of the characters.
Andrea, I would recommend using Wordpress, with its effective categorization, to efficiently manage your many product types/characters.

There are many ways to skin this cat.

You can have a main blog (I'll use my own blogs as examples, k? eg. www.shermanhu.com - and this could be the entire site).

You can also have a category for Character 1 (eg. domain.com/character1 - in my case http://www.shermanhu.com/category/personal/videos/ ) - and you can set up as many categories and sub-categories as you want for all your characters.

Or you could go with the sub-domain route.

For example, the main blog being domain.com (in my case, www.wordpresstutorials.com/blog) - and the sub-domain being charactertype.domain.com (or in my case http://videocasting.wordpresstutorials.com or http://podcasting.wordpresstutorials.com )

Hope that makes sense. Bottom line is, you can simply setup a blog, and use categories, or split it up into multiple blogs, one as the main, the others as sub-domains. Choice is yours. Simplest way is to use Categories.

Plus you don't have to fuss with design layouts after initial setup. Simply post and publish. Voila!
shermanhu

Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:52 pm

Hi,

Thank you for replying Sherman. Can you tell me whether Wordpress is free to use and is it in any way better than blog?

Can you optimise the bloggs to rank well in search engines?

I am wondering if it would be better to have a website because I don't really want to have to keep posting messages on a regular basis. What do you think?

Andrea

Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:45 am

In blogger, we had modified some of the tags, their bot mark them as spam. Wordpress blogs are good.

We use Wordpress blog installed on our website but sometime in future we are planning on using free blogs from Wordpress. Wp puts certain keywords into the title (name of your blog), meta description (description of your blog). Also it puts the autodiscovery tags for you.

There is a support forum for Wordpress -
http://wordpress.org/support/

Since you have been bloggin for a while, learning Wp may not be that difficult.
ezinebonanza

Next

Return to Promoting Your Blog