Making big money from type-in traffic

Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:03 pm

Rick Schwartz owns 5,000 domain names and claims to be making $2 million a year from type-in traffic.

He paid $108,000 for one of the names. Some days he makes $300 profit from that one site.

It has been estimated that as much as 10 to 15% of Internet traffic is type-ins.

Here's the story:

http://money.cnn.com/2005/11/30/technol ... /index.htm
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:38 pm

Allan,

Very interesting story... I know a couple of web entrepreneurs that are in the domain game. You need some money to get going as you can have a lot of losers before you find winners...

I think as the net ages and more people become educated on search engines etc. Type in's will slowly drop off as a % of traffic.
ihenman

Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:00 am

ihenman wrote:I think as the net ages and more people become educated on search engines etc. Type in's will slowly drop off as a % of traffic.

I think less and less people will click those ads on those sites over time. I read that article in a Business 2.0 magazine article about a week ago - it's good stuff.
robertb

Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:35 am

In year 2002, somebody offer me USD 20k for a domain I owned.
My domain has 3 listing in Dmoz under different category.

I rejected that offer and now ... I am out from Dmoz after the editors perform clean up. Just wonder when I can get such offer again for my other domains.
davidku

Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:48 pm

davidku wrote:In year 2002, somebody offer me USD 20k for a domain I owned.
My domain has 3 listing in Dmoz under different category.

I rejected that offer and now ... I am out from Dmoz after the editors perform clean up. Just wonder when I can get such offer again for my other domains.

You could try posting your domains on sites where there are DN buyers looking for such names like

dnforum.com
sitepoint.com (in the for sale section)
sedo (offers an auction part)
ihenman

Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:21 pm

I owned a domain name before. I was one day later to re-register because of different time zone. Someone took it and resold it online for more than $400
cf05

Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:25 am

cf05 wrote:I owned a domain name before. I was one day later to re-register because of different time zone. Someone took it and resold it online for more than $400

I thought expired domain got a lock in period. Like after it expired 1-2 days, other people still cannot register it. Am I right ?
davidku

Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:30 am

I just couldn't get it. Loss all my effort
cf05

Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:00 pm

davidku wrote:I thought expired domain got a lock in period. Like after it expired 1-2 days, other people still cannot register it. Am I right ?

You're correct if you look at a site like deletedomains.com it shows domains on hold and ones deleted. Now if you put in a BACKORDER at a site like godaddy they will try to grab it when the WHOIS expiration dates comes due.

If the current owner doesn't get to it and re-register it before all of this occurs then who ever get's there first is the new owner. I had the experience of allowing a domain to run out..then needed it re-registered for a client. I couldn't do it through the regular process b/c it was in the "HOLD LIMBO STAGE" so I had to pay about 90 bucks if memory serves me correctly for them to grab it for me some how.

It was with GoDaddy I have no idea really what they did to magically get a hold of it...seems to me they charged me a lot almost a stupid penaly since i forgot to renew... :lol:
ihenman

Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:31 pm

ihenman wrote:if you look at a site like deletedomains.com it shows domains on hold and ones deleted.

I couldn't find domains on hold and ones deleted in deletedomains.com, instead it only showed domains for sale or buy.
Could you instruct me how to do it? thanks
cf05

Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:54 pm

Man it is scary thinking about puting in a lot of work for a domain, then lose it. Now the new owner gets to make a easy profit off of the work you have done. :? :x

I think less and less people will click those ads on those sites over time. I read that article in a Business 2.0 magazine article about a week ago - it's good stuff.
I never even thought that people could make good money of those type sites. I guess it doesn't matter now, those one-word domains are all taken up already.
The One

Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:29 am

how is it really possible? just think of good domain names?
hyippo

Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:55 am

Don't just try generic terms. Try slangs or even something you believe could become popular in the next few years. Anyway this domain business looks to complicate for me!
mikelombardy

Type-In

Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:35 pm

I agree that you will do well to start in this industry with a decent sized bankroll...however, you can catch some real gems on the drop. I spent $60 on a $20/day domain...you just have to be smart about it.
AIA

Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:21 am

People who understand the business and have money will figure out how to profit from Domains... everyone else is just admiring the process.

Lemme see why did Google buy Youtube? Why did Murdock purchase MySpace. These people are businessmen, they let the clones do the work, they evaluate the potential, they broker the deal and they profit.

They are simply at a level of business affiliate marketers will never reach. Affiliate marketing can make big money for a very select few - but the reality is most will just spin their wheels.

There is nothing innovative about selling someone elses products or services for a profit.

The days of snapping up cheap "type in" domains are behind us. There are plenty of companies monitoring the potential of domain names (including the registrars).

I used to pick up names in the late 90's when people burned out on the NET before there were so many in the loop.

I missed one domain that was producing about $5k a month to an idiot from Idaho - no joke. He knew it was worth something but had no idea how to profit from it. I checked back in off and on. He sat on it... drove it's worth to zero!!! Lost all his incoming links... and just wasted it. This no longer happens. It was valuable because the previous owner was a business that had developed it so well then went under.
InternetMarketing_IQ

Next

Return to How to Earn More