Datafeed-Based vs Banner-Based Websites

Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:00 pm

From my personal experience:

When you're working with affiliate programs of online stores, in my opinion, it is BEST for an affiliate/assosicate to pick stores that supply datafeeds of their products, and import them into affiliate websites (be it content websites or shopping malls, doesn't matter). Then, when your customers see product pictures and descriptions on your site (you may pick the ones you want to feature, and leave out the ones you don't), they get more interested in them (than in just plain banner and/or text links), and clicks convert to sales much-much better.

There are a number of extremely useful software applications for datafeeds import. One of these is WebMerge (a product by the Fourth World Media Corp). I am not affiliated with them. Just wanted to let y'all know that we've just launched (this happened today, on 1 November) an exclusive co-branded version of this application - "WebMergeRL" (or Russian Legacy Edition of WebMerge), which makes it easy to import our products into your sites.

Not to spam this thread, I won't say anything else (unless people ask). We have our thread in the "Promote Your Affiliate Program(s)" section of the AssociatePrograms.com boards. You can easily find us there if you're interested.

IMPORTANT: It is a fact that datafeed-based websites convert much better than banner-based ones. Be it with us, or with any other online retail store (Amazon, Overstock, eBay, anything), remember this and take your time to learn how to work with datafeeds. Time invested will inevitably pay off.

Of course, I'd be happy to discuss this claim/observation further in this thread (if there's interest in this). ;)

Hope everyone is having a prosperous week!

Geno
Geno
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:17 pm

Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:25 am

I agree.

I have never done very well with just using banner ads. I have done well with importing a merchants datafeed and then having their products listed on my site though.
john2698
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 5:26 am

Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:10 am

john2698 wrote:I agree.

I have never done very well with just using banner ads. I have done well with importing a merchants datafeed and then having their products listed on my site though.


Thanks, John! I was wondering if anyone is going to pick up on this topic... ;)

Anyone else wants to comment (and/or share experience)?

Geno
Geno
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:17 pm

I second WebMerge

Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:16 am

WebMerge is a great product. Simple and easy to use. However tiering does take a bit of trial and error. That is just so you get your files straight. But once you do, just click a button and away you go.
JMMKTENT
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:50 am

Re: I second WebMerge

Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:38 am

JMMKTENT wrote:WebMerge is a great product. Simple and easy to use. However tiering does take a bit of trial and error. That is just so you get your files straight. But once you do, just click a button and away you go.


They have a beautiful support forum of their own where you may ask all and any questions, and other users (or the programmers of the Fourth World themselves) will you out with your questions.

Geno
Geno
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:17 pm

Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:03 pm

I don't use Webmerge. I just use my own scripts that I have personally made so that I can easily upload datafeeds straight into my database.
john2698
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 5:26 am

Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:18 pm

john2698 wrote:I don't use Webmerge. I just use my own scripts that I have personally made so that I can easily upload datafeeds straight into my database.


Sounds very good, John. PM, IM or e-mail me, and I might have something interesting for you! ;)

Geno
Geno
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:17 pm

Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:28 am

john2698 wrote:I agree.

I have never done very well with just using banner ads. I have done well with importing a merchants datafeed and then having their products listed on my site though.


Just wanted to share this print screen with you (supports the statement that this thread is based on: that if you want "to earn more" - learn how to work with datafeeds):

[Image deleted - Moderator]

Hope it will encourage people to use datafeeds more.

BTW, note that "54 day" period between click and sale, and make appropriate use of this info. Join affiliate programs with cookies lasting at least 60 days...

Geno
Last edited by Geno on Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geno
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:17 pm

Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:53 pm

This might be a silly question but how ofter do you have to update your datafeed. Is it weekly, monthly or is it done automatically with the company that you are associated with.
kelliott07
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:18 pm

Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:22 pm

kelliott07 wrote:This might be a silly question but how ofter do you have to update your datafeed. Is it weekly, monthly or is it done automatically with the company that you are associated with.


Two ways to do it:

1) Either you set your website up in such a way that every merchant that sells through your site uploads the datafeed themselves (as often as it gets changed in any way).

2) Or you fetch their datafeed yourself (automatically), making sure they set up a dynamically changing XML datafeed somewhere at their website and give you access to it.

Hope this helps.

Geno
Geno
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:17 pm

Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:11 am

Fantastic, that definitly answered my question.. I will start checking out datafeeds to see what I can do with them.
kelliott07
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:18 pm

Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:55 pm

kelliott07 wrote:Fantastic, that definitly answered my question.. I will start checking out datafeeds to see what I can do with them.


Good luck, and let me know if I can be of any more help, K. Elliott! ;)

Geno
Geno
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:17 pm

Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:25 pm

Thanks, I am trying to put together a website now that uses datafeeds. One more question, do you know of a product that will take comma delimited or simi colon datafeeds and process them and insert them into a database.
kelliott07
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:18 pm

Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:01 pm

kelliott07 wrote:Thanks, I am trying to put together a website now that uses datafeeds. One more question, do you know of a product that will take comma delimited or simi colon datafeeds and process them and insert them into a database.


WebMerge
Geno
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:17 pm

Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:41 am

Just wanted to share this print screen with you (supports the statement that this thread is based on: that if you want "to earn more" - learn how to work with datafeeds):


Geno, could you please resize the picture? my screen's going wiiiiiiii...de
deadlyminds
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:59 am

Next

Return to Affiliate Data Feeds

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests