How to invite visitors to participate in the forum?

Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:29 am

I have just put up a romantic-escape forum in my site. I was wondering about how to invite visitors to want to participate in the forum. Should I myself start a topic for every subject? I am really new to this. :oops:
Please give me advice.

Thank you.
newbi3e

Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:10 am

Participate in related forums and use a sig file promoting your own forum. You could get the ball rolling with a post or two that will generate a good number of responses from visitors to your website. There is nothing worse than a dead forum. Make sure you keep it lively.

I would perhaps cut back the number of forums to a few main categories rather than multiple sub categories. Have a general discussion category where people can make general posts that don't fit into your existing categories.

Declan
Declan OReilly

Thank's Declan

Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:09 am

Hi Declan! Thank's for your input. I think you're right, I need to add a general discussion category in my forum.
As for eliminating some of the sub categories, can you give me an example for the one that you think is not necessary?
Thank's again. :D
newbi3e

Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:56 am

Forums usually work best on sites that already receive thousands of visitors a day. Lots of people visit and read forums without taking part. Unless you're very fortunate, you might need at least 2,000 visitors a day to make one work well.

It helps to have a good-sized mailing list, too, in which you can announce your newsletter and remind people that your forum exists.

You could try promoting your forum more prominently on your main page,
perhaps quoting snippets from controversial posts.

Perhaps you have some friends interested in travel who would be willing to start a few controversial discussions on your forum to build up a bit of interest. Otherwise, people are likely to have a quick look and leave without taking part.

You're going to have to think about buzz marketing and getting people talking about you.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:28 am

Try writing some articles or a special report eg: 10 best romantic getaways
with a backlink to your forum, put your report up at free ebook directorys, find some travel related website, offer them your book to give to there newsletter list maybe even dating related sites
affiliateintel

Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:42 pm

Apart from promoting yourself by participating in forums, writing articles, etc. make sure your forum is search engine friendly. This is one aspect many seem to ignore. Like blogs, forums are very good source of information and search engines love them. Once your forum pages starts getting listed in search engine results, it can be a snow ball effect then and you need not work that hard to get visitors.
vishalrao

Return to Web Site Promotion