fantastic news!

Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:34 am

I was thrilled to discover this morning that my site ranks #1 in google results for the term "farting armadillos"!

And my logs show people hitting my site from that term.

It doesn't get any better than this! :-)

Allan was right, work those little niches!
Phil Tanny

Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:08 pm

Wonderful news old chap!

Go like the wind!!

Declan
Declan OReilly

Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:12 pm

Declan OReilly wrote:Go like the wind!!

Ha! Good one! Thanks for the laugh.

For details, please see my upcoming ebook:

"Little Known Secrets Of How To Make Millions In The Animal Flatulence Industry!"
Phil Tanny

Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:55 pm

Declan OReilly wrote:Go like the wind!!

Obligatory Spinal Tap reference:

Don't you mean "Break like the wind!"?
dgoliath

way to go!

Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:57 am

Phil,

Good job! Farting Armadillos is a hard market to break into. When you work up to the big leagues you can try and go for the market I'm dominating, rat tattoos, I currently hold the #1 spot on G for "freaky deformed rat tattoos" lol... Isn't SEO a fun job?

p.s.- check out your standings, I think you have gained another spot for FA with you post on AP
beingcre8tive

Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:57 am

Arghh!!! My own post bumped my site out of #1!!

Well, I do owe Allan a ton of favors. OK buddy, here's your payback. You sir are now #1 on Google for farting armadillos, courtesy of tanny.com. :-) It's a thrill, isn't it?

But, don't get too cocky because I still rule the #1 spot at Yahoo, where I leave Allan way behind, languishing in the #2 spot.

I must say, I am awed by anyone who can dominate the "freaky deformed rat tattoos" niche. I'm um, smelling a joint venture opportunity here!

Well, we can see from this experiment that Google is crawling this forum quite regularly.
Phil Tanny

Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:11 pm

Phil,
I've got news for you - and it's all bad. You better check Yahoo again. AP reigns supreme!

Cheers,
Wally Morgan - Moderator
administrator
Site Admin

Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:50 pm

Wally, you scoundrel, why did you scare me like that?? You about gave me a heart attack. :-)

I just checked Yahoo and I am still the imperial ruler of the FA niche. (no way am I'm going to spell out FA now that you guys are stealing my rankings. I'm cagey too ya know! )

And you guys have vanished from the first page. Don't see you on other Yahoo SERPs either. Losers. :-)

Hmm. You were there this morning, and from your report apparently #1 at some point, so it appears Yahoo listings change quite frequently?

OK, serious question now, believe it or not.

In other threads we've discussed the implications of addressing completely different topics within one domain. This continues to interest me as my site seems to be heading in an About.com type of direction.

Does this thread tell us that Allan could write up a bunch of articles on armadillo digestion and drop them in to the middle of an affiliate marketing site, and rank well for armadillo stuff due to his solid pagerank? At least on Google?

My site has lots of pages about nature stuff, but you guys immediately beat me on Google, apparently due entirely to your better pagerank. Yes?

Links rule? Relevancy of links doesn't matter? Google evaluates pages, not sites?
Phil Tanny

Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:30 pm

Phil Tanny wrote:I'm um, smelling a joint venture opportunity here!

Um, "smelling a joint" being the operative term, I think... :D

LMAO

Starhugger
StarHugger

Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:59 am

Phil Tanny wrote:Does this thread tell us that Allan could write up a bunch of articles on armadillo digestion and drop them in to the middle of an affiliate marketing site, and rank well for armadillo stuff due to his solid pagerank? At least on Google?

Probably, if you're talking about easy, non-competitive phrases.

However, I think it's much more difficult when there's a bit of competition.

This is only anecdotal evidence, so you can choose whether you want to take any notice of it...

A few months ago I experimented on AssociatePrograms.com trying to get a good ranking with a very off-topic phrase. Using normal, ordinary methods which usually work well with on-topic phrases, I failed miserably with the off-topic phrase. I was beaten by pages with a much lower PageRank, with few links to them. It was spooky, almost as though Google knew I was just having fun with an off-topic page.

I'm not keen to spend time repeating the experiment. If anyone else wants to try it, though, I'm keen to learn the results.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:57 am

Thanks for this report Allan.

Hmm. Well if you're interested we could continue the experiment here in the forum. We could perhaps start an off topic thread in an obscure corner of the forum, and delete it when we're done. We'd could choose a more competitive topic than nature. We'd need a low PR on topic site to compare to I guess.

I'm just using logic, perhaps a faulty guide, but it seems Google would have one set of rules and would apply it to both low and high competition words.

If you can immediately outrank me for one term, why not another, assuming you have higher PR?

My on page optimization is better for FA than yours, so you didn't beat me that way. I've got armadillos twice in my url, in the page title, header and many times throughout copy.

But as usual in SEO, who knows. Theories, theories, theories.
Phil Tanny

Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:37 pm

This thread is now #1 in Google for "farting armadillos". Tanny's still got it in Yahoo though.
rlray216

Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:54 am

Phil, you could fight back by using the phrase in links to your FA page. :)
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:25 pm

Well, I need to get myself some links and PR of course.

Ooooh, I am ranked number 2 for the most relevant keyword for my site, which I am not going to mention here I can tell you that. :-)

I have only about half of my nature content on the site. The rest is in the wings, completely ready to go except for the articles. So I'm trying to finish that up, then go make a run at DMOZ etc.

Now that our appetites are warmed up by a discussion of farting armadillos, I want to turn our attention to vegetarian pizzas.

Yes, vegetarian pizzas is an important topic to discuss, because vegetarian pizzas is a slightly more competitive phrase than FA. In fact, the highest ranking page in google for vegetarian pizzas is PR 3. So we'll see how this post about vegetarian pizzas winds up ranking in the results. If vegetarian pizza posting gets us a good ranking, we'll move on up the PR chain to something a bit more competitive.

Hmm, as best I can tell this thread has a PR of zero? I looked at the oldest threads to see what PR they have, seems to be zero also. Sound right?
Phil Tanny

AP showing it's power on the SE's

Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:28 pm

Hey,

AP has taken over on the "freaky deformed rat tattoos", they hold the #1 position on yahoo and google. Way to go AP!
beingcre8tive

Next

Return to Search Engine Optimization