What is Cross link?

Fri May 20, 2005 7:47 am

JM talks about google will punish people who do cross link. Is it linking among your own pages? i thought that is legal?
Learner_Affiliate

Fri May 20, 2005 9:55 am

Linking among the pages on your own site (one site internally) is absolutely ok ... crosslinking is when you link multiple sites together; some SE's allow minor crosslinking, others don't ... I think Yahoo gets more wound over crosslinking than Google does but neither likes it.

Debs
Debs

Fri May 20, 2005 1:47 pm

Does cross link between multiple sites the same as getting link partners? It seems the same.
Learner_Affiliate

Fri May 20, 2005 7:49 pm

No, it's not getting link partners. Cross linking is linking your OWN SITES together. Say I personally own Site A and Site B.

A cross link would be linking Site A to Site B AND Site B to Site A.

The search engines look at this as artifically increasing your link count, sometimes penalizing you. Personally, I think they shouldn't penalize the site, but rather just ignore those links for ranking purposes, as some cross links are for good reasons than just SE rankings.
robertb

Mon May 23, 2005 9:33 am

How does the spider know that site A and B are mine???? They gonna check my personal particulars with my hosting servers?
Learner_Affiliate

Mon May 23, 2005 11:21 am

Yes, they can check hosting particulars as well as domain name registrations ... and automatically too

Debs
Debs

Mon May 23, 2005 12:07 pm

Debs wrote:Yes, they can check hosting particulars as well as domain name registrations ... and automatically too

Debs

Are u sure? I can't believe it. Are there any sources that can proof that the spiders can do that?
Learner_Affiliate

Mon May 23, 2005 2:10 pm

Learner_Affiliate wrote:Are u sure? I can't believe it. Are there any sources that can proof that the spiders can do that?

Yes, Debs is sure.:wink:

All Google needs to do is pull up the WHOIS record for your domain. My guess is their spiders don't do this, they primarily scour the web for updated pages. Google is probably using an algorithm behind the scenes to do these look ups.
robertb

Mon May 23, 2005 2:42 pm

So we shouldn't link our sites together at all? Not even one link?
Mantius

Mon May 23, 2005 3:09 pm

What about cross link on my own site , mean the pages within my own site.
Learner_Affiliate

Mon May 23, 2005 4:10 pm

You can link your own sites together as long as it makes sense for the user. If you link to a florist shop from your poker strategy guide, then you're going to be a lot more likely to be penalized than if you link to your florist shop website from your guide to how to be romantic.

It also depends on how many sites you have interlinking. The question to ask yourself is whether or not you're doing something to benefit your user, or are you just doing it to game the search engine. If the latter, then you're likely to be penalized.

And not only can Google look at the registration info in WhoIs, there's a certain amount of speculation that if you've registered a domain for five or ten years instead of for one year, you're probably a more trustworthy website. (This is based on their recent patent info.)
rlray216

Mon May 23, 2005 10:54 pm

Learner_Affiliate wrote:What about cross link on my own site , mean the pages within my own site.

That's not called a CROSS LINK. It is perfectly fine to link pages together of one site.
robertb

Tue May 24, 2005 11:17 pm

Mantius wrote:So we shouldn't link our sites together at all? Not even one link?

Crosslinking is OK.

Excessive crosslinking is not. It can be a really serious problem.

Here's my experience:

http://www.AssociatePrograms.com/excess ... king.shtml
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:18 pm

Probably a stupid question but here goes:

1. If I have 2 sites A and B. A has a bunch of relevant links to B but B has NO links back to A is that a problem with the engines? Is it safe?

2. If I have 10 sites and 9 of them have relevant links to 1 but that one has NO links back to the other 9 is that a problem? Is it safe? The 9 don't interlink at all except to point to the 1 (and other relevant sites).

Thanks.
Strategies

Fri May 05, 2006 1:49 pm

I know this thread is old and dont mean to be bringing a zombie from the dead, but....how in the world would the SE know you are crosslinking if...

A) you use domain proxie information, I noticed martell has done this himself with the sites that I know he runs....when I do a whois, I see tucows as the owner. tucows and domainproxy are pretty cheap.

B) you use 20 different hosting companies in totally different class C ip ranges.

C) take it one step further and make sure that your style of templates, layout and html are WAY different.

Im not looking to spam the SE with tons of cross linked sites....but Im wondering if I should purchase all my domains with a proxy whois, host all my sites on different $5 a month hosting plans at different companies and make sure my layouts are way different, just incase I cross link.
robato

Next

Return to James Martell's Methods